Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hope Springs Eternal

The day the Lord created HOPE was probably the same day he created SPRING. ~ Bern Williams

 "If we had no winter,
the spring would not be so pleasant;
if we did not sometimes taste of adversity,
prosperity would not be so welcome"
Anne Bradstreet

No winter lasts forever;  ~  Hal Borland

Expect to have hope rekindled. Expect your prayers to be answered in wondrous ways.
The dry seasons in life do not last.
The spring rains will come again. 
Sarah Ban Breathnach


What a difference 10 days make!
10 days ago it was wind chill of  15 degrees below zero
Yesterday it was a heat index of  70 degrees above zero.
What's up with that???

Oh - it's a reminder that Spring is coming, whether it looks like it TODAY or not.
A few nice days to give us hope;
Saying - "Hang in there
Winter won't last forever" 


The robins are back! 
They arrived a week ago to find lawns & fields
covered in snow.
They sang anyway. 

Did you hear that?
THEY SANG ANYWAY!

I love their song.
In fact, this morning I woke up to a robin singing. 
Ahhhhh!  Spring is almost here. 
I just wanted to stay in bed and listen. 

 


Three days ago I saw my first meadowlarks.
They were sitting proudly on their fence posts singing,
staking out their territory along the fields. 

It suddenly dawned on me that I've never seen 2 or 3 meadowlarks together.
They are always alone. 
Wonder why?

I found out they are very territorial birds
They don't like to mingle. 

They do, however, winter in flocks. 
Do you suppose they are ready to get away from the crowds of family and friends?
They’ve 'HAD IT' with all the gossip and cabin-fever of winter?
They're more than ready to get to their own place - their own space?
Where they can sing their own song?

Isn't that just like us?
Our need to get away from the hub-bub of life to be alone for awhile?
To just stop; in our need for peace and quiet.
Where we can think.
Where we can sing our own song.

Now I'm waiting for the arrival of red-winged blackbirds


I'm also keeping my eyes open for a glimpse of the
stunning yellow-headed blackbirds as they pass through.
I love the striking yellow head again the shiny black body 

Why couldn't they stay? 

Why won't they stay?


They usually arrive in a noisy unruly flock by the hundreds.
Sitting all over the milo stubble and fields.
Flitting here, flitting there,
Looking for food, seeds, and grain.
It seems the next day they are gone.  Vanished! 

They seem to only stop long enough to rest and eat. 
I think it's because they know this isn't their home. 
They're only passing through.

Their HOPE, their home, lies somewhere else. 
It's not here in the center of Kansas.
They like wetlands.    

My HOPE lies somewhere else, as well.
It's definitely not here in the center of Kansas.
As a matter of fact,  it's not even on this earth.
This is NOT my home. 

Hope is in the air.
The song of the birds fills the air.

I think their song is:
    - No winter lasts forever.
    - The barren times are coming to an end
    - A new day is coming.
    - The old will become new.

And best of all: 
Don't fear tomorrow, God is already there . . .   
waiting and preparing it for us. 

"But as for me, I watch in HOPE for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me". Micah 7:7

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the HOPE that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect.       1 Peter 3:15

There's a road somewhere
There's an open door
There's a hill where the green grass grows
There's a family feast
Where there's joy and peace
Going back to a place called HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment